One Piece of Advice That Changed a Life: The True Story of SIP and Consistency (In My Own Words)
One Piece of Advice That Changed a Life: The True Story of SIP and Consistency (In My Own Words)
Hi everyone,
Today, I'm going to tell you the biggest and most useful story of my life. This isn't just a story about my financial success, but about the advice that created a huge difference between me and my friend, Rohit.
Five years ago, I was just like you. I had a good-paying job, but I was always a little worried about the future. I knew I should be investing, but I had no idea where or how.
One day, my friend Rohit introduced me to a common friend of his. This person didn't work for a company; he owned his own company called Nummus Wealth NextGen. I still remember it clearly—he gave me just one piece of advice that changed my world.
What was that one piece of advice?
He told me, "Look, Rahul, you don't need rocket science for financial success. Just do two things: First, start a small SIP with a fixed amount every month. I'll give you a basket of carefully selected funds you can invest in. And second, don't stop it for the next 5 years. Whether the market goes up or down, just keep investing and have patience."
I took his advice to heart. I told him I wanted to start with a small SIP of ₹2,000. He said, "Okay, but make sure to increase it by ₹500 every year." I agreed to his suggestion.
Rohit was also at that meeting. He didn't believe in my ₹2,000 SIP. He said, "What will you even get with ₹2,000? You won't make any big money." He started his own SIP with just ₹1,000, and that too without much enthusiasm.
Over the next 5 years, the market went through many major ups and downs. I even saw the market crash during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many of my friends got scared and stopped their SIPs. My friend Rohit was one of them. He never took his SIP seriously and kept changing his strategy again and again.
The Result After 5 Years
Five years later, when Rohit and I compared our portfolios, we were both shocked.
My Portfolio: I started with a ₹2,000 SIP and increased it by ₹500 every year.
Year 1: ₹2,000 x 12 = ₹24,000
Year 2: ₹2,500 x 12 = ₹30,000
Year 3: ₹3,000 x 12 = ₹36,000
Year 4: ₹3,500 x 12 = ₹42,000
Year 5: ₹4,000 x 12 = ₹48,000
My total investment: ₹1,80,000
Because of my consistency, when the market went down, I got more units at a lower price, and when the market went up, the value of my units grew rapidly. Today, my portfolio is worth almost ₹3 Lakhs. I had nearly doubled my capital in just 5 years.
Rohit's Portfolio: Rohit had only invested ₹1,000 per month, without ever increasing it. Over 5 years, his total investment was ₹60,000. Because of his constant strategy changes, he only gained about ₹10,000. His portfolio value was stuck at just ₹70,000.
The Biggest Lesson from This Story
From this story, I learned that in investing, patience and discipline matter more than knowledge. The advice from the owner of Nummus Wealth NextGen showed me that:
Consistency is the real magic: The biggest advantage of an SIP is that it saves you from trying to time the market.
Stick to good advice: Don't change a good strategy again and again. Sticking to the right plan is the key to success.
Today, as I look towards my financial freedom, I am grateful for that one piece of advice and for Nummus Wealth NextGen. Seeing my success, Rohit has now also changed his strategy and promised me that he will never stop his SIP.
So, if you also want to start your financial journey, remember: Don't try to time the market; give your time to the market. Consistency and good advice are the biggest secrets to your financial success.
